Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Long time no post; Less religious America yet still a strong observant demographic


What can I say? I always feel as if Facebook conveys a good enough idea of what most of us atheist bloggers are getting at - there is no god or supernatural forces in the universe. Only boring old physics and the INFINITE UNIVERSE. Man, we're unbearable.

That's actually why I felt like writing. Although some of the posts I make, or memes I re-post (I think that constitutes a fair portion of the majority of any timeline) still make it abundantly clear, I'm not as emphatic about going headfirst into arguments with people who are fixed in their beliefs. I notice this when I comment in public media outlets, especially dealing with individuals I'd roughly estimate to be between 45-67 There is a consistent thread among that particular demographic - they are seemingly as idealistic as ever.

Which should come as no surprise. Evangelicals are flocking to Donald Trump despite the fact that he is the opposite of Christ without all the dark, mischievous flair of Satan. I'm someone somewhere in the grey areas that is the "left" of center of the duopoly on Capitol Hill. The drivel of evangelicals is of the most fervent, absent minded supernatural tribalism we've seen. Well, forgive me, excluding Scientology.

"I'm an ENFJ, thanks for asking!

Of course my beloved Pew Polls back me up on this, Polling and Analysis November 3, 2015 U.S. Public Becoming Less Religious Modest Drop in Overall Rates of Belief and Practice, but Religiously Affiliated Americans Are as Observant as Before but you get glimpses of hope from analysis such as " The Landscape Study shows, for example, that nearly all major religious groups have become significantly more accepting of homosexuality in recent years – even groups, such as evangelicals and Mormons, that traditionally have expressed strong opposition to same-sex relationships."

I can only hope this acceptance is based out of the same loving God they worship, rather than being terrified of being left behind in history as so many religions have before our civilization began. A relic of an already archaic pass, long overdue to expire.

No comments:

Post a Comment